7 DAY PLAY PICKLEBALL AND TOUR THE REAL COSTA RICA
ESCORTED BY KATHY DUSENBERY, travel planner, blogger, and pickleball enthusiast!
Pickleball Play: 3-5 days open play
Minimum guests: 12 Maximum guests: 30
YOUR TOUR has been created by Celeste and Tony Horpel, the U.S.A. Pickleball Assoc. Ambassador to Costa Rica. Hotels are TripAdvisor-rated as 4 star; very comfortable with great food.
We know where to go, because we live here! We'll introduce you to the rich beauty of this country. Our intent is to have you experience "the REAL Costa Rica."
A seven (7) Day Tour necessitates staying on a fairly tight schedule to enable you see as much as possible in the 5 full days you have here and play Pickleball. You’ll have a chance to take in a variety of some of the beautiful places and things to do. Costa Rica is cultually very unique in many ways. The people are sweet and welcoming. The terrain is varied with micro-climates, lush primary-growth forests, dry desert-like scapes, expanse tropical beaches and active volcanoes.
Below is a glimpse of what you will experience!
- Take in the beauty of 3 of Costa Rica’s gorgeous beaches.
- Get that amazing feeling as you breathe in the extra oxygen of the lush green of a primary-growth forest.
- Feel the mist of gorgeous waterfalls.
- Absorb the unique flora and fauna of the Costa Rican tropics.
- See one of Costa Rica's more active volcanoes.
- One of the several ways you'll learn about real life here is by visiting a Campasino Organic Coffee Farm & Garden, (no commercialized tours here! You see the real Costa Rica! This particular tour is so unusual that we're certain that you'll NEVER forget it!).
- Costa Rica boasts more species of butterflies than anywhere else in the world! Feel the thrill of butterflies from several climates encircling and even landing on you, and learn about their life cycles.
- Marvel at the wildlife. Iguanas, monkeys, toucans, and macaws are a small example of just a few of the incredible variety of insects, amphibians, reptiles and mammals.
- Experience the "Ticos", as the Costa Ricans call themselves, and get a feel for their culture.
- See how local business is conducted.
- Savor delicious local food.
- Visit a farmers' market like you’ve never seen.
- Souvenir shopping.
- Visit local towns, a tourist town, rural areas, several well-known tourist spots, and experience the less traveled Costa Rica gems.
Bring your camera! Each day has many photo opportunities.
You will go home wih some wonderful memories and great photos, and still stay physically fit. We will play in two areas; At the beach and at our club, Pickleball Costa Rica, which is located in the San Ramon area. We have a pickleball club comprised of Americans, Canadians, and Costa Rican. They are itching to play with you and determine how they measure up!
Bring your court shoes and paddle. No running shoes for your own safety.
Come join us! You'll love your new experience, seeing Costa Rica as the locals do. We love the beauty and diversity of this exotic country and we're certain you will too.
Leave room in your bags for;
A Pickleball Costa Rica coffee mug,
A 1 lb. bag of rich, shade-grown, gourmet coffee grown in our area.
A Pickleball Costa Rica T-shirt.
Tours/Trips Included While in Costa Rica
- Relax for aprox. 3 hrs. at our favorite secluded, palm-lined beach (with a pool for those non-beach guests). Lunch included.
- Monkey Beach
- Local Farmer's Market
- Butterfly Farm
- Organic Coffee Farm tour with eco-creativity surprise.
- Privately owned ecological reserve (Primary-growth forest, waterfalls) & wildlife refuge: 100 species. Lunch included.
- Poas Volcano
- And of course, pickleball play 3 to 5 days.
PRICE: $1,997 Does not include airfare. Airfare from Kansas City, missouri is aprox. $530 on American Airlines.
(price based on double occupancy. Single accommodations will be an additional $90 for the entire tour. Single accommodations are limited, so CHECK WITH US FIRST BEFORE YOU REGISTER AND PAY, TO MAKE SURE THAT A SINGLE ROOM IS STILL AVAILABLE. IT'S BEST TO book that type of room early.
Deposit; 50% Deposit due at time of registration. Final payment is due 3 months prior to tour start date.
Tour starts at 1 p.m. On Arrival Date. Please make certain that your flight arrives 1 and 1/2 hours prior to our tour start time, to go through customs, immigration, and leave a time buffer for possible delayed flights.
On the 7th Day You Must Be at the Airport 2 Hours Prior to Departure. We will provide one bus transport in time to make most of the departures.
DAY 1 (Tuesday) Arrive, Meet & Greet
|Meet & Greet, D
Your tour starts at the airport (Juan Santamaria International Airport) at 1 p.m., as we transport everyone to Playa Jaco in a private coach. Arrive at your hotel, Best Western All-inclusive Hotel on the beach in Playa Jaco. Check in is at 3 p.m.
After check-in, we have a little time to wander the beach or town. This bustling tourist/surf town has a variety of things to do and see. There are many souvenir shops, art galleries, and snack bars for everyone.
The Pickleball courts are reserved for our group for (optional play) for afternoon and evening play.
A Meet & Greet coctail hour followed by a sumptuous dinner.
Overnight in Playa Jaco Best Western All-Inclusive Resort
DAY 2 (Wednesday) Enjoy a "Real Costa Rica" Beach
|B, L, D
Although we are staying on the beach, we will travel south to one of our favorite beaches today.
Enjoy the gorgeous secluded palm-lined beach for fun and relaxation. We'll relax at a beach-front hotel to lounge at their pool, wander the long picturesque beach, swim, optional surf lessons and horse back riding, beach shelling to your content, outdoor showers, and lunch (included) with beverages (optional) at the bar. This portion of the day is a "Real Costa Rica" adventure!
After a day of relaxation and fun, we'll drive back to Playa Jaco for the remainder of the day. The late afternoon and evening are yours to enjoy.
(Optional) Pickleball this evening.
Overnight in Playa Jaco Best Western All-inclusive Resort
DAY 3 (Thursday) Playa Jaco or Optional Tours
|B, L, D|
Free day! Choose either another day at the beach, play pickleball or perhaps take an (optional) tour for a zip line, horseback ride in the forest, ATV in the forest, catamaran ride, etc. If you choose an optional tour, the hotel provides transportation to your tour location.
The day is yours. Have a great time.
Evening Pickleball open play.
Overnight in Playa Jaco.
DAY 4 (Friday) Monkey Business & Farmer's Market
|B, Lunch/view, BBQ Dinner/view + beer and wine
As we leave Playa Jaco, we'll stop at a beachfront hotel with some of Costa Rica's birds and reptiles. Even if you aren't fond of reptiles, you'll leave with a fascination for these guys.
Monkeys are our next stop. You'll see whole families of Capuchin monkeys, moms with babies on their backs. Each little face is unique.
Next, we drive on up to the cool Central Highlands where we live and our club is located.
We spend a brief time at our magnificent local Farmers' Market.
We'll have a tasty buffet lunch at a small bed and breakfast owned by Kim and David Quiros of Vista Valverde, on top a hill overlooking downtown San Ramon and the Gulf of Nicoya.
Pickleball, open play at our club's courts in the small town of Santiago this afternoon. After checking into our hotel, we clean up for dinner and depart for Jardin La Torre.
BBQ dinner at picklers Carol & John Buford's home, "Jardin La Torre", with a stunning view of the ocean, sunset, and city lights of Esparsa and Puntarenas.
Overnight in San Ramon. Hotel La Posada
DAY 5 (Saturday) Another "Real Costa Rica" Day
| B, L buffet, D with beer and wine
After an early Costa Rican breakfast we travel to a family-owned Butterfly Farm. They carefully raise multiple species and ship them all over the world. You'll learn about the stages of their lives and see the plants that attract them.
Next, the Compesino Organic Coffee Farm, Organic Garden and Eco-Creativity surprise. This is a tour you WON'T forget!
Get your cameras out for this!
Lunch buffet of Costa Rican fare in another well-known restaurant in San Ramon.
After lunch, Pickleball open play/Round Robin.
Dinner at one of San Ramon's popular restaurants with delicious Pizza and more. Includes beer and wine.
Overnight in San Ramon. La Posada
DAY 6 (Sunday) Waterfalls, Primary-Growth Forest & Volcano
|B, Buffet L, Buffet Dinner with views, beer, wine.
After breakfast we drive to one of the country's favorite primary-growth forests.
You'll see lush green flora of the area, tall majestic trees, feel the mist of multiple large waterfalls and see lots of indigenous birds, such as toucans and macaws, etc., Experience different varieties of butterflies in a large butterfly atrium, large cats, reptiles and amphibians such as the famous multi-colored red eyed tree frog.
Costa Rica's famous painted oxcarts, once used all over the country for travel and farming, will be on display with a live ox! Towns all over Costa Rica have elaborately painted oxcart parades showing off the family traditions.
Enjoy a delicious buffet lunch with a beautiful view of the rain forest.
We visit one of Costa Rica's most active volcanoes. It recently erupted in 2014.
Tonight we visit Andy and Nancy's home, Casa Vivace for a gourmet style meal by Chef Andy. In addition to creating great meals, both Nancy and he have built a beautiful and unique home that is one for the "House Beautiful" Magazines! Dinner is included with beer and wine, and a spectacular panaramic view of Esparza and the Gulf of Nicoya.
Overnight in San Ramon. Hotel La Posada
DAY 7 (Monday) Leave Costa Rica
After breakfast, you will be transported to Juan Santa Maria International Airport for your flight home. The bus will take the bulk of you to the airport, leaving 3 hours prior to departures time. Those who have earlier or later flights may take a public bus or a taxi to the airport.
We hope you had a fantastic time experiencing some of Costa Rica and playing Pickleball with us. Our club is growing steadily, but we're hoping some of you will move down to join our community and our club. The club is in its infancy, so please spread the word so others hear about us! Thank you so much for coming!
Best Western Hotel, Beach front all-inclusive. Rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, and food and drinks are excellent.
Amenities: Air conditioning, phone, free international calls to the USA and Canada, wireless internet, alarm radio, hot water, private bathroom, work/desk area, cribs/infant beds, cable TV & free movie channel, daily housekeeping, in-room safe, hair dryer, iron & ironing board, rollaway beds/extra beds available, laundry & dry cleaning service, and wheelchair accessibility. If you have someone coming with you that has a wheelchair need, please let us know as soon as possible. Room availability is limited.
Sports Available: Pickleball (of course) adult & child swimming pools, beach and grass volley ball courts, ping pong, fuseball, & billiards.
Beds: Rooms contains 2 Double beds.
La Posada Hotel in San Ramon: A family owned eco-friendly hotel with solar power. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, and the food is great.
Amenities: Full breakfast, room service, high speed internet, 24/7 reception, free calls to the USA, wheelchair accessibility, suites, air conditioning in some rooms, but there is usually no need for it except on very rare occasions. Fans in all rooms, Costa Rican hand carved furniture and hair dryers.
Travel insurance, (including trip cancellation) is highly recommended. This is not the USA. Road and weather conditions can change and close roads for hours if not days in some rare cases. If we are stopped or delayed, for any reason from arriving at our destination or if you have a health problem, are involved in an accident, we are not liable for any expenses incurred which may result in flights missed or changed, additional hotel costs, etc. By paying for, and committing to this tour, you are agreeing that the responsibility of purchasing travel/health/cancellation insurance is yours and that we are in no way expected to provide payment for anything other than our originally scheduled plans and expenses.
See "Terms and Conditions" under "Tours" tab for additional information.
INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR PRICE:
- Meals: 6 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 6 dinners.
- Air conditioned transportation throughout the country.
- Park or entrance fees.
- Pickleball Play; 3 play days, 2 optional play times on your own time.
- Court fees.
- Tours that are mentioned on this itinerary.
- Six nights accomodations based on double occupancy. (Single accommodations will be $90 more for this tour. Single accommodations are limited, so book early if you would like a single room. Call or email before registering and paying, to make certain there is a single room still available).
- A Pickleball Costa Rica T-shirt.
- A Pickleball Costa Rica Mug and a bag of Gourmet shade-grown coffee from here is San Ramon, Costa Rica's most famous coffee zone.
- Lots of great memories and a healthy body.
Tours Included While in Costa Rica
- Relax for half-day at our favorite secluded, palm-lined beach (with a pool for those non-beach guests). Lunch included.
- Monkey Beach.
- Local Farmers' Market.
- Butterfly Farm.
- Organic coffee farm with eco-creativity surprise.
- Privately owned ecological reserve (primary growth forest, waterfalls) & wildlife refuge: 100 species. Lunch included.
- Poas Volcano.
NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR PRICE:
- Your airfare to and from Costa Rica
- Airport Tax of Approx. $29 to be paid before departure from Costa Rica. (Find out from your airline if they have already included that tax in your airfare or whether you must pay at the airport before departure).
- Any meals not "included" and printed in bold B, L, D to the far right of the tour Day #and the day of the week.
- Any food or drinks provided outside of the all-inclusive hotel or where not specified, room service, laundry service. All items or food/drinks/service must be paid for at the time of service. (For your information, Costa Rica has a 13% tax on any purchase, and a 10% added tax for waiter service at most restaurants. Small mom and pop places called Sodas usually don’t have the service tax. Employees usually make from $1.50 to $3.00 per hour. Please DO tip them if you see that the 10% tip is not added on the receipt).
- Beverages ordered during meals that are not "included" in the package price.
- Medical needs.
- Any tours not listed, including tours mentioned as “optional”. Although we do pay for court fees where “optional” is listed for Pickleball play.
- Any taxi's or other modes of transportation that you choose to use during your trip.